Followers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Reading the Comics

Do you read the newspaper's comics? We have for years, following certain ones closely that seemed to reflect our lives. It used to be "Baby Blues", then "Foxtrot" and "Zits". Lately "Pickles" covers some very familiar topics. :)

Reading comics in the Orr house is a bit of a tradition. I was reminded of that this morning as Nicole, Joseph and I were reading them in a coffee shop. We separate the comics into single pages (two on weekdays, and three on Sundays when they're in color) and hand one to each person. Then THIS happens . . . . .we read, we snicker, chuckle, and smile . . . then we look up and say "Luann" or "Stone Soup" or whatever name of the comic we just read and appreciated. That is code for "pay special attention to this one because it's extra great today". Then, occasionally, we will read a comic either so funny, so poignant, or so true for us that we will stop the other ones reading and make them read that comic right now.

I love the process. I love how we share and hand back and forth and make comments. Many times, the cartoons will spark memories, thoughts, ideas, and conversations. Now and then it will remind me of when Jasmine was very small and Joseph would pull her up on his lap and, since it was before she could read, he would read each one to her, panel by panel, making different voices for each character. It made her laugh. It was something the two of them shared and it is a sweet memory.

I cut out comics I like best. I send them to friends or put them on the fridge with magnets. I have a few I have had for more than 15 years.  One of my all time favorites was reposted today and I am including it here for your enjoyment. Hope it makes you smile as much as it did when we read it in the coffee shop this morning!
January 27th 2013 - Baby Blues,Rick Kirkman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Thіs is my first visіt to youг blοg!
We агe a team οf volunteers and stаrting a neω initiаtivе in а
community in the same niсhe. Yοur blog ρrovideԁ uѕ useful infoгmatіon to ωork on.

You hаvе dοne a outstandіng ϳob!
my website > Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

Free of waterіng the roots of a tree іt is futіlе to be exρeсting it to expand and giνe us luscious fruits, vibrant flowers
etcetera. Υou could be ready to attain desirеd rеspect and ѕtatus ωith
aid of youг energy and courаge. * Chinese pіzza: Best unbaked pizza dough ωith hoisin sаuce, sliced eсo-friendly pepperѕ and oniοns, and sauteеd shitake muѕhroomѕ.
Visit my web site ; Carsraft78.Mywapblog.Com