Followers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Romance at Half a Century Plus


Last night I was reminded that it doesn't matter how old you are or how long you have been together when it comes to romance. After almost 28 years together, Joseph and I have seen it all. We've been through the tough stuff, the funny stuff, the embarassing stuff, the heartbreaking stuff, the silly stuff, and the humdrum, daily routine stuff. Through it all, we have gotten along well and truly are each other's best friend.


Last night, however, we were at a brew pub. He was sitting in one section of the place, hanging with his VW buddies, drinking beer and talking engines. I was sitting in another section with Nicole, laughing, writing letters and munching on guacamole and chips. Throughout the course of the evening, Joseph and I checked in with each other. He had to pass by me on the way to the bathroom and since he was drinking beer . . . .let's just say it made for several visits. I also went over to him a couple of times over the two hours and touched base, gave a quick kiss, said hi to his friends, etc.


On some Monday nights, a bluegrass band plays in the pub. Last night, it was just the radio, tuned to an oldies channel that I must admit once again proves that MY generation's music was the best. :) Anyway, a new song started and the first note told me it was "Unchained Melody", which is our song. I looked over at him to see if he had noticed. I planned to smile at him and then let him go on talking to his buddies. When I glanced over, he was already standing up. He walked over to me and we slow danced to the song, right there in the pub. He wasn't embarassed to do so in front of his friends. He didn't worry about what "the guys" thought. It was very much just OUR moment.


That was romance.


I am one lucky woman to be loved like this.

3 comments:

marypotterkenyon said...

That was sweet!

Ami said...

What a sweet memory that made.
For both of you.

:)

Unknown said...

Neat, neat, neat!!