Followers

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Parting Really IS a Sweet Sorrow, Mr. Shakespeare.

When old Willy wrote the line in "Romeo and Juliet" that "Parting is such sweet sorrow", he sure was right. He was referring to the pain of lovers saying goodbye until the next day, but this Mom is keenly aware of the feeling this summer. In April, I said goodbye to Nicole for six months. In May, I said goodbye to Caspian for 6 weeks. Today, I said goodbye to Coryn for a one to two weeks. Each parting was full of the joy and excitement and anticipation of a new adventure waiting around the corner. I was thrilled for the opportunities my children were being given, excited at who they might meet, what they might see and how they would interact and evolve from their experiences with the world.

But DAMN, I miss them. And saying goodbye is hard. I want to hug a long, long time. Until they are squirming and trying to get away, in fact.

Coryn held my hand in the train station today. Although I frequently take his hand, it has been a long time since he has reached out for mine and gripped it so tightly. It brought back many memories of holding little hands over the years and marveling that all of these hands today are larger and stronger than mine.

I know they will come back . . . but in the meantime, I miss them dearly and know they will return changed from their interactions and more independent and more apt to want to take another trip very soon. And really, I am glad for that. I know that that means Joseph and I did our jobs well . . . but,

DAMN, I miss them.

No comments: