Followers

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Heart Stopping Moment

Yesterday I had one of those heart stopping moments that age you and add wrinkles and gray hair to you immediately.

At 10:30, Joseph put Caspian on the Max train to go to the zoo.

At 12:30, the phone rang. It was the zoo and Caspian had never arrived.

It was like all of the air had been sucked out of the room. That minute between the zoo's phone call and our calling Caspian's cell phone and hearing him answer was one of the longest of my life.

Fortunately, all was well. The train he had been riding (it's an electric train) had been going over the bridge when it encountered a bent overhead wire and came to a stop. They had to take all of the passengers off and transfer them to buses, hence the reason he was late.

Although it all turned out fine, I could feel the remnants of that panic all day. When he came home that night, I wanted to just hold onto him despite the fact that he is four plus inches taller than I am now. It was a reminder of how precious and wonderful these creatures are and how much we need to treasure them.

Now, I am going back to breathing again.

No comments: