Followers

Friday, March 4, 2011

Stalled in Gresham

Hey everyone. Long time, no write, I know. Partly I've been busy doing other writing (the kind I get paid for) and catching up on letters (the kind I enjoy the most), but excuses, excuses. The honest truth is is not much is going on.

Nicole went on two job interviews this week. Both were lousy. She has a much more promising one today and yesterday, she went to a summer job fair that has her excited about finding a job in Alaska with a cruise line. If I've never known ambivalence before, I do now. Excited and thrilled at her potential opportunities and distraught and depressed about her being so far away.

The diet continues . . . almost two months now and I have totally stalled out on weight loss at 23 lbs. Grrrrrr. I need the feedback of stepping on the scale and being able to push that little knob to the left, even if it is only a few ounces. I have, however, gotten rid of more than half of my jeans because they are too big. :) I will hang in there, but am still using willpower on a daily, sometimes hourly, basis. My blood pressure continues to surprise me by staying normal despite very very little medication. A definite perk to this way of eating.

I am grateful that it is March and that spring is teasing us with possibilities here and there. I am so ready for the sun and warmth to return. Spring means my sons turn 18 and 15, which seems impossible. Caspian is on the edge of launching, looking into volunteering all summer at an organic farm up on Mt. Hood. Coryn is looking up college classes and lurking on web sites in hopes of connecting with some of the other teens in the area. I love how much freedom they have to explore their interests and discover who they are and what they want to do with life. I simply cannot imagine how they would be if they had to deal with grades and teachers and peer pressures all day, every day. Homeschooling was, unquestionably, the best decision we ever made as parents. Our amazing children are all the proof we need. They are happy, smart, curious, compassionate, loving and FUN.

Work is . . . . I don't know . . . work? It still is nowhere near being as strong as a few years ago. New projects do come in but far too slowly to make me comfortable. The truth is . . . I don't want to put in the long hours I have to when the projects do come tumbling in. I'm almost 52 and aware that my drive and ambition are just not what they were ten years ago.

Other news . . . hmm. . . .not much, hence the lack of posting. I have been watching some new TV series with the family (another perk . . . we all spend the evening together watching something and discussing it). Latest discoveries include "The United States of Tara" and "Supernatural". Oh and we are re-enjoying "Jericho". Great series that, like "Firefly", should never have been cancelled. We are "Glee" fans too . . . well, Nicole, Coryn and I are . . . . Joseph walks in and out and Caspian just runs the other way.

That's it from the Orr camp. Tune in again soon and I hope to not take so long to return. And that the STALL has ended.

No comments: