Followers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Orr Family Update

I have avoided posting because every time I think about doing it, I then think, but nothing new has happened. Won't that be boring to read?
Of course, I know how disappointed I am when I go to a friend's blog and they haven't posted anything new, and then guilt piles in that I might be letting others down by not posting on my own. Sheeesh.
So, while nothing monumental has changed around here, this is my update.
1. The diet continues. The family has lost about 110 pounds altogether and I am personally down 25 lbs. I wish it would SPEED up though. The sun actually peeked out yesterday creating an unexpectedly beautiful afternoon and Nicole, Caspian and I headed over to the track. I walked a mile and then ended the walk by dancing to Glee's rendition of "Bad Romance" with my kids . . . yes, in front of people. I love my family.
2. Nicole is being interviewed for two different jobs in Alaska this week. One is on the railway and that is the one she is hoping, hoping, hoping for. She will spend time in Anchorage and Fairbanks. The other one is working at a resort in Denali. To understand how I feel about all of this, look at my last post. Thrilled and excited yet dreading the idea of life without her in our house.
3. Caspian is putting plans in place for leaving in May to live on an organic farm and build yurts. He is . . . . if you know him at all, you will know what a SHOCK this is . . . .strongly considering cutting his hair. Caspian's hair is almost all the way down to his butt and has been his pride and joy for years. He recognizes, however, that working on a farm and taking care of it, especially with out a mom around to braid it, will be hard. I haven't told him that the minute he cuts it, he will probably look at least one to two years older. Or that I will cry when he does it. I think it is a wise decision and indicates that his self esteem is growing, which is a very good thing. Although he will only be about 90 minutes from home on this farm, we will most likely only see him once a month or so and yes, that same heart pain is here.
4. Work is still coming in at a somewhat steady rate but still nothing like it was back in 2008 or so. Of course, I don't want to work as hard as I did then either. If I didn't have to pay bills, we would be fine. :) Could someone please write an excuse to the IRS for me?
5. The older I get, the more I have in common with my mom and it sucks that I can't call her and talk to her about it. I finally "get" some of what she was going through and yet we can't talk on the phone and empathize with each other. I miss her.
6. We are trying to imagine this summer with only one child at home. Maupin in the summer with ONE child? Life is Good conference with one? It will feel very strange. Can anyone say "empty nest syndrome"?

So that's an update on life. Breakfast is on the table so I am off to have some. I take my meals where I can get them these days. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Ami said...

Would it be a bad idea to suggest you just get pregnant? Imagine... you could repeat ALL the fun for the next 20 years or so.

Just a suggestion.