Followers

Monday, April 14, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the VERY Ugly

Life just wants me to go on rollercoaster rides, apparently. I've been all over the place in the last 24 hours. As long as I am on the ride, I might as well take you with me, right?

THE GOOD: Coryn dealt with my leaving for the weekend absolutely fine and never had a moment's trouble. (Read earlier posts to understand why this is remarkable.) He was happy to have me back but didn't angst about my absence at all.
I had a wonderful time with Nicole. I didn't get to see much of her as she was in class the vast majority of it, but what time we did have together was just lovely. We giggled and talked and just enjoyed being together. I loved the hotel room--it got lonely Saturday because I was alone from 8 am to 10:30 pm but I got work done, I finished a book and I took a nap. Those were good things.

THE BAD: I came home to a computer that was okay at first and then began to act up and then proceed to lose more than half of my email folders, each one containing dozens of important work related emails. I can't begin to think how it happened or what to do. Coryn found them all sitting in my recycle bin but when he clicked to restore them, none of them did. As far as I can tell, they are just gone. My computer guy can't get here until tomorrow morning and in the meantime, I do a lot of sniffling and swearing over it.
I have two huge assignments due today and there is no way I can get them done with all I have lost. I will do my best but sometimes I just want to stand up and walk away from it all, ya know?

THE UGLY: Taxes. Man, oh man, do I hate being self employed at tax time. We owe less than last year, true, but still it's enough to wipe out one savings account and still not be paid off. I knew it would be bad, but I had hoped it would be a little better than this. We will weather it--always have and always will but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, ya know?

Still up in the air . . . vacation. (And hell yes, I am still taking out enough money to go on vacation because this family and I deserve it and the IRS does NOT.) Where to go? What to do? We have some ideas but they depend on three factors that we currently have no control over. (Yes, I am being mysterious because my kids read this and I haven't revealed those ideas yet.) Wherever we do end up going, it will be the second two weeks of June. That much we DO know.

Sigh. Going back to work now and try to cope with harsh reality. Man, I wish I did drugs sometimes. (Just kidding, of course.)

No comments: