Followers

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Menopause 300 Sleep 0

You know how kids look forward to Christmas? That's how I feel about menopause. Bring it on, baby! I've had periods for 40 years. Plenty long enough, thanks. In recent years, those periods have gotten pretty awful. I will skip the gory details but just let you know that one year I did my Christmas shopping in a wheelchair because I was too woozy from blood loss to walk around the mall and do it. And when a period starts, I have learned to not leave the house, otherwise I will just humiliate myself somewhere.

So, yea, I'm ready for menopause. And it really is on its way . . . but you know, some of the side effects kind of suck. Like night sweats. I wake up in the middle of the night most nights and the room in 150 degrees. Under a pile of blankets, snuggled between dog and husband--which felt wonderful when I crawled into bed a few hours ago--is now torture. If I pull the covers off of me, it pulls them off of those two, both who protest. So, I end up getting up and coming downstairs, surfing the net, posting to my blog (duh?), writing letters and eventually crashing on the couch--just in time for someone else to wake up and come downstairs, of course.

Last night I tried taking my BP meds right before bed in the hopes they would make me sleep soundly. (I currently can't remember sleeping through the night in a few weeks.) Heck, they certainly make me sleepy enough during the DAY to nod off several times. Apparently my idea didn't work, because here I am. . . asleep at 1 and up at 4.

Oh well. If it means menopause is close, I'm willing to lose a little sleep in the deal. I just hope I'm awake to appreciate it.

4 comments:

Ami said...

Well most people would suggest you uncover the dog, because... yeah. What can she do about it?

But I say uncover the husband. Let him protest. Explain. He'll understand the explanation.

The dog won't.

Plus, I think men should have to suffer through menopause at least a little.

Tracy said...

I saw your heading about menopause on Ami's blog and had to come and visit...while I am ready to do without my period (I'm 51) I am certainly D-O-N-E with hot flashes and night sweats and will probalby end up killing my husband before it is all said and done because he turns up the fickin' thermostat because he's as skinny as a rail (he's a runner) and of course, I'm sweatin' to the Oldies; but only in my body!
So, that being said, When will it be over!?

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

Lately, the hot flashes and night sweats are the only time I'm warm. I'm a virtual ice cube when I wake up after having thrown the covers off after a night sweat.

I hope things settle down for you soon. Thankfully, it won't last forever.

Unknown said...

Hey, I love the new look!!! Be good to yourself. Yea, menopause can get the better of you. I actually think I'm done now. I used maca, an herb, and that got me through the most of it. There are things out there that help. Google, menopause-natural remedies. you might find something to help.