Followers

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

18 Years Ago Today

18 years ago today I was not sitting nearly this comfortably in my chair. I was, however, up and about, after having given birth to the most darlin' Nicole Katrine Orr at 3:19 a.m. She was my "miracle baby" because after having her older sister in 1984, I was unable to get pregnant again. We did all the fertility testing stuff and I had a miscarriage that about unraveled me completely, so when I had her, I was one grateful mama. I had her at home--all 9 lbs, 13 oz. of her. She was beautiful, of course, but I had no idea how beautiful she would turn out to be as she grew.

Nicole is not only my daughter, but my best friend. We hang out together a lot and laugh and talk and yea, even cry now and then. We have the same sense of humor and often communicate without words, something the boys refer to resentfully as "mom and Nicole's eye talk". Joseph and I are just amazingly proud of this young woman and who she is becoming. As a former Habitat for Humanity volunteer and now a Search and Rescue worker, she is compassionate and hard working and very dedicated to making the world a better, safer, happier place. Prejudiced me is sure she does that just by being on the planet. Next year, when she either takes off for either Australia or National Civililan Community Corps, I will mourn her absence as much as I cheer for her independence and opportunity.

So, please, if you stop by here to read, could you send a quick email to waterswhisper@comcast.net and just say Happy Birthday to my gorgeous offspring? I know she would appreciate it. She has a full day ahead of her with cake, her favorite dinner, presents and shhhhhh, a massage. I am just feeling blessed that I get to spend the day celebrating with her.

1 comment:

Nomadic Nicole said...

Ah damn mom. You are so nice to me. I am just all fluffy and warm inside! I am so excited for today and for the gifts yet to come, just know that being with you, my best friend, and my family, my most loved ones in the world, is the biggest gift I could ever have. (Although the Celtic Thunder concert is not that far behind.....)