Followers

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sucker Punched

I've been in the writing world for a long, long time.
Today, I was told I was no longer welcome at a company I have worked with for more than 10 years because they found my writing "too close to the original source". In other words, bucko, we are accusing you of plagiarizing.
In the world of writing, there is no larger insult.
I feel like someone just walked up to me and punched me in the stomach. It hurts mentally and physically.
I have never, ever, ever plagiarized a word in my life. After 20 plus years in the business, I think I know better. In fact, I've caught others who had done so and been hired to repair their mistakes.
At the same time, I got this email, I was also emailed by three editors, all praising the work I had sent in and asking for more.
Guess what?
It doesn't hold a candle to the punch I got.
Gee, you know, I needed inspiration for something to write about but this sure isn't what I had in mind. Pass the chocolate, please.

3 comments:

Ami said...

I'm sorry you've found some assholes in disguise. (It must have been a pretty good disguise if you've had a 10 year relationship with them.)

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

If I had to guess, I'd say that a) they're covering their asses to justify not keeping you on the payroll, because b) they've found someone else who will work for less. The fake threat of a lawsuit from plagiarism is probably all they need to keep anyone at the company from second-guessing their decision.

Eat chocolate with abandon!!

Unknown said...

Sweetie,
I agree wholeheartedly with Ellen. And Ami. What Ellen says makes perfect sense. With the economy like it is, everyone is looking for cheaper ways to do things. It's just a shame they decided to drop their standards in material to save a buck. Cause, lady, you are the best!!!

And when they come around again, saying that it was a mistake, they need you back (read: the other one didn't work out), you have my full permission to totally unload on them. If fact, it may help to write that letter/email today and save it. That along with chocolate, plus some self pampering (shopping with favorite friend/daughter or plan an overnight get away with DH)may be in order.

Love you lots!!!!