Followers

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Books, Books and More Books

I have always loved books. When I was young and living at home, I didn't ask for a car or clothes or parties . . I asked for more bookshelves. I haven't changed much. I still fill every available inch of my house with bookshelves and think little of moving whatever I need to move to fit in another one (who needs a stove anyway, right?). I read them, collect them, treasure them and of course, write them.

The ones I have written are becoming a problem. I get multiple copies of each title and when you've written 100 plus titles, that really mounts up! So I have been trying to think of a way to get rid of them in ways that don't make me wince (i.e. just giving them to Goodwill). I have tried selling them but that is quite a hassle. I will donate sets to places I respect (which usually leaves out most public schools and churches). I have given many as gifts. Our dentist, massage therapist and counselor all own some copies now. But how many people want a copy of "Inside the Department of Transportation" or "The Debate over the Federalist Papers"? I am sending a batch of the SAT prep books to the kids' teen camp for those who want a free copy. I am giving a set to one of my best friend's childcare center. Yes, I also takes copies to Powell's now and then and get some money for them which is cool. I always sent a copy of every book to my parents but now they have both died and I got back all of those copies.

Anyone have any suggestions of a good place for these books to go? I can GUARANTEE you they are well written. (grin)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can always donate some to libraries. If they don't need them then they usually put the books into their annual book sale.
It's what we do after we've read whatever new book we've picked up.

WritingGoddess said...

Thanks for the idea. Is this . . . Peg?

Ami said...

You like books?

Wow. You think you know a person...